Thursday, September 18, 2008

Enjoying....

Dear Jacob,

This evening I went the most wonderful walk! The temperature outside is at the perfect spot where you would be absolutely comfortable in a t-shirt or a sweatshirt or almost anything. I walked over to the lake and just watched the loons float around, perfectly un-aware that I was watching them. The leaves are starting to change colors already. Some of the maple and oak trees have the beautiful red leaves, its so gorgeous! There was a little bit of a breeze, just enough to carry the crisp sent of fall along and keep the air from being too still. I sat on the log and just enjoyed the perfect late summer night. Sadly there were no ducks flitting around this evening.
When I left my dorm room I did what I usually do, put on a sweatshirt (although it wasnt needed at all) and grabbed my phone, iPod and camera. As I walked I was in my own little state, I pushed the whole college scene out of my mind and let every other stimulation enter. The sent of fall on the breeze, the very slight rustle of the leaves, the loons calling, the bats swooping for bugs. Everything seemed ten times more vibrant and spirited. I gave serious consideration to sleeping out by the lake, it is just so perfect tonight.

I thought about the actions that I went through before I got to where I was. Grabbing my phone, iPod and camera...I had over $400 worth of electronics on me, and yet not one in use. I have taken for granted the wonderful, wonderful world around me, and have replaced partially with a synthetic reality. I dont need my iPod, I dont NEED a phone, I dont need a camera. They are pulling people away from seeing the real beauty in the world around them. That being said, it is very hard NOT to see the beauty up here.

I have a deeper understanding of what you were talking about the other day, how you said that it bothered you that you walked slower than everyone else, but then realized that you enjoy the walk more, and notice more things. Tonight I was able to totally push out any influence of college life, even though I was sitting in the middle of campus, and just think and enjoy the world without interption.

The only thing that would have made it a better night would to have you here, because I know you would have enjoyed it just as much, if not more than, Idid.

hugs & kisses

lala

No comments: