Thursday, September 18, 2008

What is your passion?

Dear Jacob,

Today as I was walking back from Chinese class, I began thinking about how two people with such different backgrounds and social skills (although when you think about it, our social skills are very similar) can get along so well. I grew up in a very grounded family, we didn't move very often and I attended school in the same town my whole life, up until my second go at college. As a result, I am afraid of change, afraid of new things. I have friends but only a couple who are very close to me. You moved a lot and had to deal with change all the time, and never knew if you were going to be at the same school for the whole year. Because of that, you are used to change and love to explore and see new things, really get to know your world. You also have only a few close friends but about the same amount as me.

The one thing you have that I don't is a passion. I realized today that I have lots of little things that I like to do, but I don't think really have a passion for anything. I find that really odd because I always say that what I like to find out most about a person is their passion and that a persons passion really defines who they are. You are a gamer, you love playing games of any kind and could get lost for a whole day without knowing it. You get lost in your own little world. I have a lot of things that I like to do, like scrapbooking or biking, but I dont think that I could do any of them for a whole day. I dont think I could immurse myself into something so much that I just get lost. Quite frankly, that makes me really heartbroken.

I think a passion is what really drives a person to live. maybe not so much live, but thrive. It makes a person who they are. So then if I have no passion, who am I? What am I? I cannot answer that question, and that alone scares the hell out of me.

No comments: